Going to the beach and swimming in the ocean can be very fun, but it can also be dangerous. Here are some safety tips so you can relax and enjoy yourself on the beach.
- Take swim lessons. Knowing how to swim is the number one defense against drowning.
- Be knowledgeable about where the lifeguards are located. Set up your spot on the beach close to a lifeguard stand. In the event that you do end up in danger in the water, being close to the lifeguard will shorten the response time.
- Never go into the ocean alone. Swimming with a partner or buddy can be a huge defense against any danger. This comes with responsibility on your part as well because you need to keep an eye on your swimming partner and be willing and able to give them assistance if it is needed.
- Keep hydrated. The sun and salt water can dehydrate you faster than you may think. Being dehydrated can turn a bad situation worse, so make sure you are drinking plenty of water to avoid that.
- Be aware of rip tides. Currents and rip tides are very dangerous, especially if you are not a strong swimmer. They are hard to see, and if you get caught in one it will pull you out away from the shore, If you find yourself caught in a rip tide the best thing to do is to swim parallel with the shore until you are clear of the current.