Swimming is great exercise as it uses and strengthens all the muscles in your body. To work out all the muscles used in swimming, you would need to spend a long time at the gym and use 10-20 different machines and techniques. Why not make it much simpler, and jump into the pool and swim some laps? Here are some of the top health benefits associated with swimming.
- When you swim it is not only a cardio workout, but it is also good for strength training.
- If you have previous injuries from sports or anything else, swimming is a perfect way to work out and stay in shape because it is a low-impact form of exercise.
- Swimming is a great way to strengthen your lungs. With your face being in the water, you are not breathing like you normally would, so your lungs get trained to work more efficiently, taking in more oxygen and releasing more carbon-dioxide with every breath.
- Swimming is great for stress relief. While all exercise releases endorphins that reduce stress, swimming is unique because being in the pool reduces sensory distractions which encourages calmness in the mind and body.
- Swimming has an effect on virtually every part of the body. It has an impact on your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, cardiovascular performance, the central nervous system, blood chemistry, cognitive function, and muscle mass. It is in this total body workout that swimming is unique.